Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Next Visit

On March 6th we returned back to Shriner's so that they could take another x-ray of Camden's back and we could talk to Dr. Stasikelis about the MRI results. Everything seems to go so smoothly at Shriner's it's never busy and there truly aren't many people there so it's very calm. We got back to take the x-ray, I had warned my husband before we got back there that Camden did NOT like the last x-ray so this would probably go the same way. Little did I know that it didn't. All we really had to do was hold his legs still for about 10 seconds to snap the photo and we were out of there. I was shocked and VERY happy about this!
We sat down and waited in the waiting room for the nurse to call our names, it was very quick because like I said before there really aren't many people there.
We got back to the room, and I felt like we waited ALL day for him to come in. He finally came in and greeted us, then said "Well I hate to bring people bad news, but Camden will have to be casted, his curve has progressed from a 33 degree angle to a 44 degree angle in a little over a month". And once again, I felt that lump in my throat since we had talked about this possibly being "resolving", I was already expecting this but hearing him talk more about it made me sick. I could tell by the way Camden sat that it was getting worse and feeling of his back every single day. I had already prepared myself for this news.
He will stay in the cast for 1 year to 18 months depending on his rapid growth. We will visit Dr. Stasikelis and his team every 6 weeks for Camden to get his new cast placed. Dr. Pete is a perfectionist, he wants the spine to be a perfect ZERO before he stops placing the cast, which is fine by me because I would rather my baby have a good healthy life but what kind of mom wouldn't?
My mother has been doing so much research on Infantile Scoliosis and found a group for mother's that are going through the same thing. I finally looked at it and found just the person I needed to talk to. She is a mother going through the same thing I am but her timeline is ahead of mine. Her son(Jackson) went through the same thing Camden is going through now at the same age! Jackson was placed in his first cast when he was 15 months old, he was at a 50 degree angle. He is now on his 9th cast and is spine is at a 4 degree angle!! I KNOW UNBELIEVABLE!!! His mother(Jennifer) has given me a sigh of relief, she has kept me up to date with how things go and what could possibly happen. She has been very encouraging, just listening to her I know that I can get through this and it's not the end of the world, although sometimes I may get weak it even happens to her STILL but I have to be strong for Camden. Of course I do get scared but I keep thinking to myself "Morgan this could be so much worse" that is when I thank God for giving Camden only this.
I pray and pray for those mommies that go through more than this because this is tough enough to deal with.

Camden's first cast will be placed on April 11th,2013. I pray for my strength and for my families strength to get through the things that we cannot change right now.
Camden's x-ray from March 6th, 2013 at Shriner's

 This is Jackson in his 8th cast! I know most people don't know what a cast looks like and lots of people think it has more to do with the body but it doesn't. Jackson runs, plays, jumps, dances and pretty much anything else that his cast will allow him to, or should I say he doesn't care about that thing he will do it anyways! Him and his mother are definitely an inspiration on us!

2 comments:

  1. I pray for your cute little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan! It's Jennifer, Jackson's mom. I just got a chance to read your blog, and I was so touched to find this! I have been thinking about you guys a lot lately with Camden's casting coming up! He will definitely be in GREAT hands with Dr. Pete. You are in my thoughts and prayers and don't forget I'm here for any questions/concerns you might have. Email/call/text me anytime. Best wishes always.

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete