Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cast Day #1

So many emotions going through me right now. I don't really know what to think about this new "thing" we brought home with us. Today definitely took an emotional toll on me. But he did absolutely amazing!
Of course, he NEVER wakes up in the middle of the night and last night was that one night that he just had to wake up when he couldn't eat after 3:00AM, now I know that I will just have to feed him in the middle of the night when this happens from now on.
We had to be at the hospital at 6:00AM so we were up and going at 5:00AM so we are exhausted now but we are still going. Nothing really hit me until the nurse came and took him away to take him back that was around 7:30AM, and I couldn't hold the tears back any longer. It was so upsetting seeing him go to the back without me.
We went back down to the 2nd floor and went into the waiting room where my mom,dad and grandma were waiting on us to report how he was. You would have thought we were chopping his leg off because he was so hungry and I hated not being able to feed him.
This is right before they took Camden back. They put these little shirts on him to protect his skin from the hard plaster that they will place around him.
 Mommy and Camden right before the nurse came
 
 
 
 We were starving so we went to grab some breakfast in the cafeteria which wasn't bad for hospital food. Around 8:30 right after we got finished they called us up so that Dr. Pete could meet with us and talk to us about how everything went. He said Camden is great! That he was fine and they were trying to wake him up to drink some Pedialyte. We got put into a room so that he could eat some food, get his cast cut around the edges and dry his cast completely since it is plaster. I couldn't wait to see him so I was pacing the door, and heard him down the hall, snubbing. He was not a happy camper since he hadn't eaten and all these strange women that he didn't know were carrying him around.
We got inside the room and started the drying process of the plaster. This is like a HUGE blow dryer to stick underneath a blanket so that the plaster can completely dry up.
The one thing that I didn't want to happen, happened. He threw up and I HATE seeing my baby throw up. But it was all clear so he didn't throw up any formula that I had given him, which was a plus. But he did great other than that, just looked around at everyone and around the room to check it out.
Mommy holding Camden for the drying process.

After the plaster was dry a new nurse came in to trim the edges off and complete the cast.
He was pretty good throughout this. He looked around and stared at her as she cut and adjusted his cast. Then we were able to decorate it with whatever color we wanted. Well we had some camo flex tape since daddy is a hunter so as of right now he has a camo cast which is too stinking adorable. They had also asked if we had picked out a build-a-bear for Camden, although Camden doesn't really know the difference right now we went to pick his bear out with a cute little football outfit, which we will be able to change every single time we go back!
Trimming up his cast.
 His new little camo cast!
 
After all these things were done we were finally able to get ready to go home! He had kept down all 6 ounces that he ate, and he was back to his smiley self. He would get a little cranky at times but he was so sleepy from all the events that went on today, we got 5 minutes down the road and he was out, and slept all 2 hours we were on the road and this mommy even got a little nap in too! 
 
He has been absolutely awesome since we walked in the door at home and I can only pray that every time we go back it gets better and better. All of the nurses that helped us, and my Camden man were AMAZING and of course as Jennifer(Jackson's mom) would say, Dr. Stasikelis is IMPECCABLE! No words can truly describe that man.
I felt like I had been going back and forth for 6 years, I felt like family there and that's how it should be. They are all so welcoming, comforting and warming. I would definitely recommend them to anyone and everyone that needed the help they provide.
 
 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say hi. Dr. S is great we had a consult with him back in the beginning too. :)

    ReplyDelete